How can I contact Fees Free?
Freephone 0800 601 301
If calling from overseas phone +64 4 462 5201
We are open Monday to Friday, 8:30am to 5pm, with the exception of Wednesday when we are open 9:30am to 5pm.
To send us your statutory declaration, email [email protected].
If you have any other questions please email [email protected].
Unsure of some of these terms? Check out our glossary.
- I don’t yet meet the residency criteria to be eligible for Fees Free – but part way through my course or programme, I will. Can I get Fees Free for study or training I do before I become eligible?
- I’m an Australian citizen or an Australian permanent resident. Am I eligible for Fees Free?
- I’m not sure of my residency status. Who can I contact to check this?
- I’m a citizen of the Cook Islands, Niue or Tokelau. Am I eligible for Fees Free?
- What does ‘undertaken study or training’ mean exactly?
- What are EFTS and how do they work?
- I’ve already done a course with zero fees. Does this count as prior study or training?
- I did some tertiary study while I was still at secondary school. Does this count as prior study or training?
- I did National Certificate of Educational Achievement (NCEA) Level 3 courses at school. Do they count as prior study or training?
- I’ve done study through the Refugee English Fund. Can I get Fees Free?
- I haven’t studied in New Zealand before. Does my overseas study or training count as prior study or training?
- I’ve already undertaken tertiary study or training in New Zealand as an international student. Does this count as prior study or training?
- I’ve studied before, but it was part time. Does this count as prior study or training?
- I’ve already undertaken workplace training or an apprenticeship. Does this count as prior study or training?
- Can I use my NZQA Record of Achievement to find out how much prior study or training I've undertaken?
- How much study or training can I get Fees Free?
- What fees are covered by Fees Free?
- Does Fees Free cover fees related to recognition of prior learning (RPL)?
- Will zero fee courses use my Fees Free entitlement?
- What fees are not covered by Fees Free?
- I’m an apprentice and enrolled through a tertiary education organisation. Am I eligible for Fees Free?
- Can I use Fees Free for both provider-based study and work-based learning at the same time?
- If I did less than $12,000 worth of study in my first year of study, can I carry the rest over to another year?
- How can I check how much Fees Free entitlement I’ve used?
- If I change providers part-way through my study, can I get Fees Free study at my new provider?
- I know I have some Fees Free entitlement left to use. Do I need to tell my provider?
- I started Fees Free study/training in a previous year and I’m continuing in 2024. Do I need to re-check my eligibility?
- What is a statutory declaration?
- What are the terms and conditions when I declare that I’m eligible for Fees Free?
- How long will it take for my statutory declaration to be processed?
- Who is authorised to witness me signing the statutory declaration?
- Where should I email my signed and witnessed statutory declaration?
- What happens if I give false information on my statutory declaration?
- Do I need to tell my tertiary education organisation (TEO) when I’ve submitted my statutory declaration?
- Is there a deadline for submitting my statutory declaration?
- I submitted a statutory declaration last year, but didn’t start studying. Do I need to submit a new one when I start?
- Can I use a statutory declaration that wasn’t generated on the Fees Free website?
- Do I need to apply to StudyLink to access Fees Free?
- What do I do if I’m eligible for Fees Free, but I’ve already applied for a Student Loan?
- What do I do if I’m eligible for Fees Free but have already paid fees to my tertiary education organisation?
- I started accessing Fees Free last year, but still have some entitlement left over to use. Do I need to apply to StudyLink to cover the rest of my fees?
- If I pay my own tertiary fees now, can I use my Fees Free entitlement later?
- Does Fees Free affect New Zealand scholarships?
- I’m eligible for Fees Free but have still been invoiced by my tertiary education organisation (TEO). Why haven’t my fees been paid?
- I withdrew from my study because of COVID-19. Can I get my Fees Free entitlement reinstated?
- My study was impacted by COVID-19. How do I appeal my entitlement use?
- Will I be notified when my entitlement is reinstated?
- I’ve used my Fees Free entitlement already, but this was for study in an industry that has been impacted by COVID-19. Can my Fees Free entitlement be reset, or can I access Fees Free to study something else?