I did some tertiary study while I was still at school. Does this count as prior study or training?
Prior to 1 January 2019, any tertiary education you undertook while concurrently enrolled in school won’t count as prior study or training.
If you have undertaken tertiary courses as part of your school learning programme, or secondary-tertiary programme on or after 1 January 2019, your tertiary courses won’t count as prior study or training.
However, if you do tertiary courses separate to your school learning programme after 1 January 2019, you will start using your Fees Free entitlement as a part-time tertiary student.
If you have questions about your eligibility, including prior study or training, please contact us at [email protected] or 0800 601 301.
Unsure of some of these terms? Check out our glossary.
- I’m going to become eligible part way through my study/training by meeting residency requirements, can I get Fees Free for any study or training I do before I become eligible?
- I’m an Australian citizen or an Australian permanent resident, am I eligible for Fees Free?
- I’m not sure of my residency status, who can I contact to check this?
- I’m a citizen of the Cook Islands, Niue or Tokelau, am I eligible for Fees Free?
- I’ve previously undertaken a course with zero fees, does this count as prior study or training?
- I did some tertiary study while I was still at school. Does this count as prior study or training?
- I did National Certificate of Educational Achievement (NCEA) level 3 courses at school. Do they count as prior study or training?
- How do EFTS work?
- I’ve done study through the Refugee English Fund. Can I get Fees Free?
- I haven’t studied in New Zealand before, does my overseas study or training count as prior study or training?
- What does ‘undertaken’ mean in the context of prior study and training?
- I have previously undertaken tertiary study or training in New Zealand as an international student, does this count as prior study or training?
- I have studied before, but it was part-time. Does this count as prior study or training?
- I have previously undertaken workplace training or an apprenticeship. Does this count as prior study or training?
- Can I check use my NZQA Record of Achievement to find out how much prior study/training I've undertaken?
- How much study or training can I get Fees Free?
- What fees will be covered by Fees Free?
- Does Fees Free cover fees related to the recognition of prior learning (RPL)?
- Will zero fee courses use my Fees Free entitlement?
- What fees are not covered by Fees Free?
- I’m an apprentice and enrolled through a tertiary education organisation. Am I eligible for Fees Free?
- Can I use Fees Free for both provider-based study and work-based learning at the same time?
- Can I access Fees Free at more than one provider?
- If I did less than $12,000 worth of study in my first year of study, can I carry the rest over to another year?
- How can I check how much Fees Free entitlement I have used?
- If I change providers part-way through my study, can I get Fees Free study at my new provider?
- I know I have some Fees Free entitlement left to use, do I need to tell my provider?
- I started Fees Free study/training in a prior year and am continuing study/training in 2023. Do I need to re-check my eligibility?
- What are the terms and conditions of declaring that I am eligible for Fees Free?
- How long will it take for my statutory declaration to be processed?
- Who is authorised to witness me signing the statutory declaration?
- Where should I email my signed and witnessed statutory declaration?
- What happens if I give false information on my statutory declaration?
- Do I need to tell my tertiary education organisation (TEO) when I’ve submitted my statutory declaration?
- Is there a deadline for submitting my statutory declaration?
- I submitted a statutory declaration last year, but did not begin studying. Do I need to submit a new one when I begin studying?
- Do I need to apply to StudyLink to access Fees Free?
- What do I do if I’m eligible for Fees Free, but I’ve already applied for a Student Loan?
- What do I do if I’m eligible for Fees Free but have already paid fees to my tertiary education organisation?
- I started accessing Fees Free last year, but still have some entitlement left over to use. Do I need to apply to StudyLink to cover the rest of my fees?
- If I pay my own tertiary fees now, can I use my Fees Free entitlement later?
- Does Fees Free affect New Zealand scholarships?
- I’m eligible for Fees Free but have still been invoiced by my tertiary education organisation. Why haven’t my fees been paid?
- Due to the COVID-19 restrictions I am unable to get my Statutory Declaration witnessed in person, what do I do?
- I withdrew from my study because of COVID-19. How can I get my Fees Free entitlement reinstated?
- My study was impacted due to COVID-19, how do I appeal my entitlement use?
- Will I be notified when my entitlement is reinstated?
- I’ve used my Fees Free entitlement already but this was for study in an industry that has been impacted by COVID-19. Can my Fees Free entitlement be reset or can I access Fees Free to study something else?
- Some of my fees were paid through the Targeted Training and Apprenticeship Fund (TTAF), but now I need Fees Free to pay the rest. What do I need to do?
- My course fees were partially covered by the TTAF and partially by Fees Free. How is this calculated, and how much Fees Free entitlement have I used?