© Copyright 2019


A provider is any one of the following: an institute of technology, polytechnic, private training establishment, university, or wānanga.

Provider-based study

Provider-based study is done through any one of the following: an institute of technology, polytechnic, private training establishment, university, or wānanga.


Refugee or protected person

According to Immigration New Zealand, broadly speaking a refugee is a person who:

  • is outside of his or her home country or country of habitual residence
  • faces a real chance of being harmed if returned to that country
  • faces harm that is a sustained or systemic breach of a fundamental human right
  • faces harm for reasons of who the person is, or what they believe. The reasons may be race (or ethnicity), religion, political opinion, nationality or membership of a particular social group (such as family status, gender, or sexual orientation or identity,. and
  • needs and deserves protection in New Zealand.

A protected person is a person for whom there are substantial grounds for believing she or he would be in danger of torture, arbitrary deprivation of life or cruel treatment if deported from New Zealand.

Please see ‘Claiming Refugee and Protection Status in New Zealand’ (PDF, 0.4MB) for more information

Residence class visa

Holders of a residence class visa are able to live and work permanently in New Zealand. Australian citizens, Australian residents or Australian permanent residents living in New Zealand are automatically given a residence class visa.



When we refer to school we mean either a secondary school, high school, home school, or college.

A sponsored person is someone who has had their visa or their application to be recognised as a refugee or protected person in New Zealand backed by an eligible person or organisation.

Statutory declaration

A statutory declaration is a written document that must be completed in front of an authorised witness. In New Zealand an authorised witness can be a:

Outside New Zealand, they include a:

  • judge
  • notary public

Student Achievement Component (SAC) funding

SAC is the dollar amount the Government pays towards the cost of teaching and learning services for learners enrolled at a tertiary education organisation (TEO). It is separate to the amount your TEO charges in fees and to your fees-free support.


Tertiary education

Tertiary education refers to study at institutes of technology, polytechnics, private training establishments, universities, and wānanga. It also refers to workplace training.

Tuition fees

Tuition fees are the fees charged by a provider for a course. These fees are covered by fees-free support.