What is the eligibility criteria for provider-based study?
To be eligible for Fees Free for provider-based study, you need to meet the residency and prior study and training criteria below.
You must be one of the following:
- a New Zealand citizen, or
- ordinarily resident in New Zealand and;
- have been living in New Zealand for at least 3 years while holding a residence class visa, or
- a refugee or protected person, or
- sponsored into New Zealand by someone in their family who, at the time of sponsorship, was a refugee or protected person; or
- a holder of the Christchurch Response (2019) Permanent Resident Visa; or
- a holder of a residence class visa who would have been eligible for the Christchurch Response (2019) Permanent Resident Visa.
Prior study and training criteria
- You must have been enrolled in a school in or after 2017, other than as an adult learner, or
- You must have not undertaken more than half a year of equivalent full-time tertiary education (0.5 equivalent full-time student (EFTS) or 60 credits) at level 3 or above on the New Zealand Qualifications Framework (NZQF), including tertiary education at an equivalent level undertaken in any country.
The following does not count as prior study or training:
- Tertiary education undertaken while enrolled in school prior to 1 January 2019 (except for tertiary education undertaken as an adult learner).
- Tertiary courses undertaken as part of your school learning programme or secondary-tertiary programme on or after 1 January 2019.
- Credits achieved as part of any industry training programme that consists of fewer than 120 credits that are reported after 1 January 2018.
- Tertiary education undertaken as part of the Targeted Training and Apprenticeships Fund (TTAF).
- Tertiary education undertaken through the Youth Guarantee programme after 1 July 2020.
- Tertiary education undertaken through the Maori and Pasifica Trades Training programme after 1 July 2020.
Contact us at 0800 601 301 or [email protected] if you have questions about your eligibility, including prior study or training.
Unsure of some of these terms? Check out our glossary.