What is the eligibility criteria for industry-based training?
To be eligible for Fees Free for industry-based training, you must be legally entitled to reside and work in New Zealand and you need to meet the prior study and training criteria below.
Prior study and training criteria
- You must have not undertaken more than half a year of equivalent full-time tertiary education (0.5 equivalent full-time student (EFTS) or 60 credits) at level 3 or above on the New Zealand Qualifications Framework (NZQF), including tertiary education at an equivalent level undertaken in any country.
The following do not count as prior study or training:
- Tertiary education undertaken while enrolled in school prior to 1 January 2019 (except for tertiary education undertaken as an adult learner).
- Tertiary courses undertaken as part of your school learning programme or secondary-tertiary programme on or after 1 January 2019.
- Credits achieved as part of any industry training programme that consists of fewer than 120 credits that are reported after 1 January 2018.
- Tertiary education undertaken as part of the Targeted Training and Apprenticeships Fund (TTAF).
- Tertiary education undertaken through the Youth Guarantee programme after 1 July 2020.
- Tertiary education undertaken through the Maori and Pasifika Trades Training programme after 1 July 2020.
- Tertiary education undertaken through the Refugee English Fund.
Contact us at 0800 601 301 or [email protected] if you have questions about your eligibility, including prior study or training.
Unsure of some of these terms? Check out our glossary.